I got invited to a Christmas party and was asked to bring a dessert. I have been baking quite a bit in the last few weeks, so I was ready to try something different, something I haven’t done before, like a Peach & Almond Cream Tart. So, let’s get to it.
- 3 firm pears
- lemon juice
- 1 tbsp peach brandy or water
- 4 tbsp peach jam
Shortcrust Pastry (Pâte Brisée)
- 250 grams flour
- 125 grams of unsalted butter
- 65 grams of sugar
- 1 egg
- 175 grams blanched whole almonds.
- 60 grams superfine sugar
- 5 tbsp butter
- 2 eggs
- 5 drops almond extract
- Start with making a shortcrust pastry by mixing all its ingredients together with your hands until a crumbly dough begins to form.
Wrap your dough into plastic wrap and put into fridge to chill for at least half an hour. Roll out your dough and use to line your pie pan, then place back to fridge to chill while you are preparing the filling.
- Put the almonds and sugar in a food processor and pulse until finely ground; they should not be pasty. Add the butter and process until creamy, then add eggs and almond extract and mix well.
- Place baking sheet in the oven and preheat to 375°F. Peel the pears, halve them, remove the cores and rub with lemon juice. Thinly slice the pear halves while keeping the slices together.
- Pour the almond cream filling into the pastry shell. Slide a spatula or a wide-blade knife under one pear half and press the top with your fingers to fan out the slices. Transfer the fruit to the tart by placing them on the filling.
- Place the tart on the hot baking sheet and bake for 55 minutes, or until the filling is well browned.
Cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, heat the brandy or water and the jam, then brush over the top of the hot tart to glaze.